Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powering audio equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddpete

MIS
Oct 9, 2003
US
I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to protect my audio equipment which includes a tape recorder. UPSs usually say they are for computers. In addition, I powered a tape based answering machine from an APC UPS. I have read that the technology is not good for motors and other nondigital devices. The answering machine's motor did slowly fail (the speed changed). Thus, I have been reluctant to plug in more expensive equipment, but would like to protect it.

What would be a good choice?

Hi,

UPS's can't provide peaks of power usually generated by an electrical motor starting. So, it is a very bad idea to try to connect a vacuum cleaner on a UPS for example, such a motor taking about 1500W (starting peak can exceed 3000W).
Regarding an answering machine, these are very small electrical motors, usually consuming around 10-20W. Their starting peak could be at around 50W (sound very high to me). So connecting small motor of this size should not be a problem (a FDD as a similar motor and it poses no problem at all), you UPS is usually capable of driving 250 to 500W.
Where you need to be careful, is when connecting an audio amplifier as it can have massive peaks, depending on the power of the amplifier.
Let me know what you want to connect, I'll be able to advise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.