Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerEdge 4200/300 re: Driver carrier card

Status
Not open for further replies.

shodgen

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2005
US
I'm pretty new to server system setup, but recently purchased a PowerEdge 4200/300 with 512mb RAM, 2-300mhz PII's. The system came with 3 drives, one 18.2, and 2 9.1gb SCSII drives. It has all 6 carriers, but 2 are missing the little card that goes at the back of the carrier and plug into the backplane board.

Actually, I have more than 1 question related to this.

1. What are these called so I can find 2 more.
2. Where can I find them (cheap?)
3. How do I know if this system has hardware RAID built into it.
4. If it doesn't have the RAID controller, would it be difficult (and inexpensive) to procure one?

Ok, that's probably enough for now. :)

Thank you (whoever you are) for helping me. It is much appreciated.

If you see any messages in the bios about Perc3e or Perc4 (newer Dells), then you have RAID capability. Perc is an acronym for Power Edge Raid Controller. As the machine is booting, if you don't have a RAID controller, you will only see one SCSI bios message. If you do have a RAID controller, you will see the Perc message as it spins up and scans for drives, then you will see the regular SCSI bios message as it attempts to spin up and scan for drives.

You can also see all of this as a Linux LiveCD boots up, so that might be a quick way to tell what you have installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back