Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

poweredge 2900 hot-plug hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

acn242

IS-IT--Management
Nov 28, 2006
US
I recently put two Satas in hot-plug slots 2 and 3 on my poweredge 2900. The drive-status light is solid green, however they do not show up under the disk management. Do I need to enable the slots in system setup? If so, I'm having trouble finding that setting as well.

Thanks

Are you talking about not showing up in the dell openmanage software or the raid bios?

The software takes some time for it to poll the raid controller to see new disks for some unknown (to me at least) reason.

ACN242....
"they not show up under the disk management"
Until you set them up as single drives (raid 0), raid 1 or raid 5 at the raid bios level or through OpenManage, disk manager has NO ability to see them.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Exactly, same as HP/Compaq. Are you adding to an existing array, or just making them their own array? If you are adding them in slots 2 and 3, that tells me you already have a mirror. You could make these their own mirror, or if you want to blow everything away, you have your choice of two mirrors, RAID5 with or without a hot spare, RAID6 (I would recommend) or RAID 10 (RAID 1+0). If you don't want to blow anything away, and if slots 0 and 1 have disks configured in a mirror, I believe your only choices would be RAID0, mirror, or add them as hot spares for the existing mirror. If this is the case, I would just make another mirror.
Now if there are drives in slots 4 and/or 5, and these are all a RAID5, you could extend the array with Open Manage, I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Burt

so, if slots 0 and 1 are already stripped, what is the easiest way to mirror that without wiping everything out? Hot Spares?

Thanks

You can mirror the second pair as their own array. It won't touch the first mirror. Now I am not sure if after that you can RAID 1+0 the two mirrors together without blowing away the data...I think you can, but I am not sure. Always back up before doing ANYTHING with RAID!

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back