Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerEdge 2650 fan replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
I would greatly appreciate if anyone can recommend different fans. I am using this server as a video server and these fans are just too noisy. Anyone has done the conversion and can provide some different fans option, I would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You're not going to have much success here... the noise the fans make is a result of their size, shape, and speed. To move the correct amount of air at a lower RPM, you'd need a physically larger fan (square mm) or a fan with blades that are deeper in pitch (thicker fan) and neither of these changes would result in a fan that would fit in the chassis. Also, even if you could make the fans quieter, your server has at drives in it which are spinning at either 10k or 15k RPM. These are also noisy.

Realize that you are using a machine optimized for high density rack deployments, which means lots of heat in a small volume, where noise is rarely a real concern. You can either live with the problem, move the server to a less noise sensitive area (I'm guessing you're streaming the video over ethernet, so it doesn't really matter WHERE the server is) or replace the server with something more appropriate for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back