Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poweredge 2600 Raid problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdong

Programmer
Mar 12, 2004
CA
Hi

My raid 5 was working fine until one of the drive fail i try to rebuild raid but it just won't let me boot to the raid ultilities. It will just stop at Press control M or H it just hanging there. I try to reseat the memory the raid key the battery doesn't work. I set it to SCSI only in the BIOS then it works. I just lost the on board raid. I did update the BIOS the Embeded Management.

Any idea thanks

If one disk fails in a RAID5 config you do not have to do anything other than replace the faulty disk. The restriping will occur automatically as soon as the faulty disk is replaced. You should not have any need to go into any RAID utilities other than to monitor the progress of the restriping.

Please can you explain whether you replaced the faulty disk and also try to explain the exact process you followed after the disk had failed.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Thanks for reply

After the Raid 5 fail I only have two drive left therefore I decide to erase everything and setup Raid 1 for the mirror of the two drive only (OS installation). Now it just hang whenever I try to setup Raid in the bios. It won't boot the raid setting. I stop at press control M or control H to enter raid setting

Why not just boot the server cd and do your configuration there?

Hi the problem is if Raid won't boot nothing else will boot including Floppy and CD, it just hang at the raid load.

The floppy and CD should work fine. They have absolutely nothing to do with the RAID.
Sounds like a RAID controller issue though. Faulty/failing hardware.

M. Brooks

Thanks I definitely think there is something wrong with the onboard Raid, I try to reseat everything wait for 1 hour or more at the Raid setting still won't boot. I reset the jumper and set to SCSI only mode it boot up everything works fine. I guess time to buy a new PCIX raid controller card Perc 3DC is only $50 bucks dual 160 channel I guess it works fine for mirror OS only ? I am using a 4 channel SATA raid pci card for data also raid 1 but with 3 320gig seagate mirror and spare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back