Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poweredge 2600 RAID failure - replace disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl3x

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2009
GB
I've a Poweredge 2600 server that's been running fine for the past few years. I've noticed however that there is an orange blinking light on the front of one of the drives (It has 3 drives in RAID 5) and am presuming that it might need replacing. I've run OpenManage Array Manager which has reported a failure on the PERC 4/DI Controller 0 and under while disks 0.0 and 0.1 appear to be fine 0.2 status is failed. Am I correct in thinking that they disk needs replacing and can anybody point me in the right direction for procedure?

Thanks

If you call Dell, they might have you try getting this drive back online again. In my experience just replace the disk...if it fails once, it will very likely fail again.
You should download/flash the latest raid adapter firmware from the Dell support site(after the disk is replaced).

Basically pull the failed disk and replace with a new disk, with the server on or off. A rebuild will take place automatically if the replacement disk has not been previously used in array. Rebuild time can vary, dependent up on the array size. Figure at least a couple hours.. during that time there should be no issue with using the server beyond a normal degradation of speed for disk services, roughly 30% less speed. During the rebuild it is not advisable to restart the server, as the rebuild process will start from the beginning on each reboot until it completes.
Best to replace drive with a new drive, not a refurb or recert drive.
Replace the drive promptly, another drive failure will result in a complete array failure.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back