Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poweredge 2500 HDD Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihung

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2005
US
Hi,

I am looking to add HDDs to our PE 2500. I have found many HDDs that seem like they fit the specs but they vary in price a LOT!

From what I can tell, we must get:
ULTRA 160 SCSCI 10K RPM 80 PIN Drives

Is that correct? Is there anything else I need to be aware of and look for? Will the SEAGATE CHEETAH ST173404LC work? Or do I have to stick with something specific for the PE 2500 like these used drives:

I appreciate any help on this. I need to buy these drives today!

Thanks..

I have a PE2500 too, and have 5 drives already in, set up as a RAID. The best to do it is to look up the exact drive part number by typing in your service tag number. It'll tell you the part number of the Hard Drives of the original configuration (assuming that you have not swapped them out). Mine turns out to be part # 47CCU, a Quantum 18.2 GB 10000 rpm drive. I put in 47CCU and bought a drive from Ebay two weeks ago. Good luck!

Be careful on Ebay...
You do not want to get a drive which was returned, recertified or refurbed if you have the drive in a raid array. Purchase them new retail, if possible, same make and model. Make SURE, the drive capacity is the same or slightly larger. A month ago, I saw a situation where two new Seagate drives, same make, model of previously purchased drives (1 year previous) had a capacity of 0.4gig smaller,..would not work in an array.

Agree with hookamasta, mixing drive brands is not a great idea. The purchased drives should have the same firmware revision, or should be flashed to the same revision.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back