Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerDesigner Java generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonTarry

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
NL
I'm looking to use PowerDesigner v 8.0 as part of a project I'm working on.

The main point of interest is the generation of Java classes from the Class Diagrams that would be created as part of the design process.

However it seems that the newly generated files would overwrite any manual changes that were made to older versions...is this true?

If this is the case, then any implementations added to these classes would be lost each time a new generation was made - is this true??

It's possible I've missed an obvious workaround for this, in which case I would be interested in hearing it! Otherwise I will have to resign to using a diagramming tool instead.

Thanks for any help.

Hello

The method for roundtrip engineering in PowerDesigner is to reverse engineer into PowerDesigner to synchronize external edits with the model. Or for a more speedy approach use the "synchronize with generated file". Using these methods you revere the changes you have made to the source code into your model. The make some changes if you want to and re-generate the files, this synchonization will preserve thee changes you have made.

HTH

Jay

Hello Again.

I should also mention that by choosing "synchronize with generated file" you can merge changes from both your externally edited file and your current model in one step.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back