Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerchute Business Ed Batch File for shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

pthomass

Technical User
Jun 29, 2005
BE
Hi,

I've posted this question at numerous places, even asked APC, but they are not the quickest to respond. So I wanted to give it a try here.

I want to execute a batch file (command file) using Powerchute Business Edition. I'm able to write it so that an exe file gets executed, I can logon to a remote computer, I can send a message to the remote computer in my network...

BUT the shutdown command won't execute. I've tried several different options of the shutdown command. Nothing works. At first I couldn't even make it open an exe file. then APC told me to mark something in Windows Services. After that I could execute those exe files and do a netsend.

shutdown, however, won't work.

net use \\computername /user:username password
shutdown -s -m \\computername -t 60

I've have given up at trying to shutdown a computer that is not directly connected to the UPS via the data cable. Somehow I think APC blocks the commands or the RPC commands. My batch files are able to shutdown remote computers when I run them manually but as soon as they are triggered by APC, it doesn't work. The only way that I know is to purchase the port expander module that allows you to connect extra data cables to the UPS from the other servers. Either way, I started putting single 1500VA UPses for each server. I do have one customer that I will be purchasing those port expanders shortly because they have too many servers and one very strong ups (2200VA)...

Well, I don't have that option. The devices that I want to shutdown are Lacie Ethernet drives and they WinXP Embedded installed on them. And I cannot install any other software on them. The manufacturer made sure off that.

So my only other option is to do the remote shutdown. I've heard from others that it IS possible. But for now I've done what they said, but it still won't work.

I hope I'll get a quick answer from APC. In the meantime I'm searching the forums for answers.

Well I did speak to APC directly (through Online Chat) and they told me it was impossible. The only way is to use the port expander.

Well, if that is the case I will write my own program that scans my serial port and regarding the incoming signals, I will shutdown the devices in my network.

Using Visual Basic for instance, this should be possible.

ok

On monday APC will call me so we can work it out.

In the meantime, I managed to make a program myself that will shutdon a remote computer and itself when the power to the UPS gets cut off.

I did it with Visual Basic. Now I'll expand the program so that one can choose on which COM-port the UPS is connected and maybe some other buttons like checking if the UPS can send and receive over the serial cable.

So now I have a backup program that I can use if the guy from APC tells me that it is not possible with Powerchute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back