Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Powerbuilder - JS heavy and invalid HTML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfer

Programmer
Sep 11, 2008
GB
Hi all

I know nothing about Powerbuilder, and don't use it myself, but would like to seek advice on using it for web applications. A development partner of ours has used a Powerbuilder product to create a web application for us, and it runs very slowly (the site has metadata containing "Sybase PBWeb.NET Compiler" and "C#").

The app is extremely JavaScript dependent, the HTML (130Kb for a simple page) wouldn't validate in a month of Sundays, and there's over half a megabyte of JavaScript from 13 static JS includes and 2 dynamic ones! There's loads of inline CSS (yuck), it only works on Internet Explorer, and even the simplest of hyperlinks use JavaScript callbacks unnecessarily.

The JS is not minified, and with all that weight the whole thing runs like a snail and appears sluggish to the end user.

My question is - does Powerbuilder force this kind of speed and output onto programmers, or can they do something about it? I am hoping CSS can be taken into separate files, JS links can become hyperlinks, unnecessary JS can be excluded, and necessary JS can be compressed and concatenated. I think the page weight can be reduced by 60%, JS weight by 90%, and the whole thing should run equally well on Firefox and Safari.

Or am I asking too much? ;)

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back