Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PowerBook G3 trouble shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

brith

Technical User
Mar 11, 2001
NO
I have a lot of trouble with my new G3 Powerbook. I guess a lot of them are extentons conflicts and I am trying to solve them but one particulary problems is special (havn't had this one with my older stationary mac). When my machine is crashing really hard, it doesn't help with a single restart. I usually have to restart, reboot a dosen times before my machine has "forgotten" the problem. Is this a hardwareproblem or a softwareproblem? If I get a errormessage it is eighter "Bus" or "Adress" Error.Anyone know something about this? I would be very grateful

B-)

bus error is not a software problem you have something connected to the laptop that is messing up the system bus it can be a nontremated scsi device it can be a lose firewire devie etc. i would start by check in every thing if you added ram check, and a likely source is the hard drive and cable. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Thanx. I do not have any other devices connected to my computer. Only a mouse, the power and a ethernet cable. But when I ordered the machine they installed 128 Ram extra. They might not installed it properly then? I think I will call them, but I will try to avoid sending the machine in, because I need it. Can I check by myself if the Ram is properly installed? I havent opened this machine yet, but I installed Ram on my older Mac.I am wery gratefull for your help, the problem are taking over my dreams..

yes you can remove the battery and what you have on the other side on the top case there is a tab on both side pull it back the keyboard should come off the should be a mealt cover remove it three screws hold it in places under that in the cpu on the cpu card is the memory. if it a brozens keyboard powerbook the two tabs at the bottom of the keyboard on the outside push them the keyboard come off and the rest is the same So long and thanks for all the fish.

Brith,

I would be surprised if there was a problem with your RAM chip in that machine.

Have you zapped the PRAM and rebuilt the desktop file on that machine?? Do note that Apple informs me there is a difference in zapping the PRAM from Restart as opposed to apping it from power "off".

In case ...
Shut the machine off.
to Zap the PRAM depress the Option-Apple-P-R keys while tunring the machine "on". Hold these keys through about five start-up tones.
Then release the P key and continue holding the other three keys through the boot up. Once you receive the windown asking if you really want to rebuild the desktop file, release the keys and click YES.

This second feature may reset some of your preferences so make note of the important ones - like your tcp/ip info though I think that one is safe.

Macgeneral

you do not need to hold down r to rebuild the desktop just apple-option at the same time as it boots So long and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back