Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankarpatil

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
US
Hi,
I have a old 486 PC.The power switch was not working.To see what happened I disconnected the switch from the wires.There are 6 to 8 different colored wires.Now I don't know how to assemble them.

1. Is there any way I can by pass the switch and boot the PC.
2. How can I join this or a new switch and make the computer work.

Please help me with this

Thanks

If you can get it on just once then you will be able to use this technique for auto booting....
when the PC is on, go to Start->Shut Down, then Shut Down.
As the PC is shutting down, wait till the end as it says please wait while windows saves etc...and just as its about to shut down, (guess work!!) pull out the power cord. This will make the PC boot automatically when you put the cable back in....this must be repeated every time you shut down!!! and hopefully you wont have to do a scan disk every time...

this meathod is a little unorthodoxed but I know some one who has to do it too!!!!!!! Jay~

"I have to think of a funny footer to
put in here!!!???"

~KeyTech

Have never seen a power switch with more than 4 wires. Pretty much standardized as black, white , blue , and brown. Black and white should be the power leads connected to the AC line and the blue and brown the load side connecting to the black an white through the switch. But you can't trust the color coding , you have to meter them out to make sure. It is possible that the external ac connector could have two wires on the switch connected to either the line or load side depending on whether the connector was switched.
After reflection, some desktop cabinet power supplies did have the external connector connected at the switch. Power comes through the AC connector , two lines to the same position on either side of the switch and the power supply board has two wires connecting more to the end of the switch with the external ac connector wires on the leads going to the board so the same relative connectors on input and output are tied together when the switch is on.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back