Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Surge in USB Hub w/ ide-usb hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam3ron

Technical User
Jun 13, 2006
US
when i connected my slim external hdd to my computer via ide-usb, i got a message power surge on usb hub. then my hdd wont even come on. it doesnt power up or anything. even when i use the walladapter its still like it isnt getting power. but i plugged another ide hdd into it and it powered right up. plugged it in and used it and everything. i dont know what the problem is please help.

also i tried hooking this broken hdd up to another ide-usb and plugged it into the laptop and still didnt work.

My initial inpression is that this USB hub was not powerful enough to run an external HDD and so has resulted is damage to either the hard drive itself or the IDE/USB controller chip contained within the housing.

USB connections, as you probably know, carry a live feed to power devices such as webcams etc but they do have limitations as to the amp draw (amount of current drawn)
When users connect a USB hub that current is further spread amongst the devices connected.
Powered hubs are always much better because they have their own seperate power adaptor.
I think it is possible you overloaded the hub and may have damaged the hard drive or it's USB controller circuitry.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back