Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkhitrik

Technical User
Jul 19, 2004
US
I have a computer that completely cuts out on power while im working on it. After it shuts down i have to reset my power strip to start it up again. Does this sound like the power supply is going dead or could it be anything else?

Very well could be. If it is a generic brand, even more likely. Did you do any upgrades to your machine before this activity begun? If so, could be overloaded.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

actually its a comp i found laying on the street
orginally i had probs with the cdrom then replaced it now i killed the hard drive and started reinstalling the o/s and it would shut off midway through the installation of the system files

Well, the symptoms sound like the power supply, but if you just picked the pc up off the street, there's probably no telling. For starters, try swapping out the power supply. Also, make sure that everything is connected corretly, such as processor, memory, video card (if there is one), ide cables. Also, check to make sure the fan on processor heat sink is running, and not broken (if it has one - depending upon how old).

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

I once had a Soyo mobo that I had to plug out for a while after a power failure before it came back to life. After much fiddling with the problem, I found out it was an engineering problem. That said, consider two things:
- Test another power source and
- Post the system specs here so more info can be gathered ad properly analyzed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back