Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermom

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
I recently replaced my power supply (Power Man Model: FSP145-61GW) with (PS-HP-PAV-200r) which is supposed to be the replacement. The old power supply had a rocker switch and the new one does not. When I press the power switch on the front of the PC, I get nothing. There is a light illuminated on the mother board. If I go from rocker switch to no rocker switch is there something special I need to do or look at.

Lack of rocker switch has nothing to do with the powering on. That was a handy way of cutting everything off, which you now do by pulling the cord.

Your ATX M/B uses the "power on" switch on the front to make a momentary contact to drive the M/B circuits that in turn activate one wire in the harness to activate the power supply.

You may want to double check that you didn't accidentally loosen the connection at the board and to make sure that the molex block is fully seated and latched on the M/B.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I'm reading a little between the lines here, so forgive me if I'm way off the mark.
Have you actually had a failed power supply? did it pop? The reason I ask is the possibility of damage caused by this, original PSU.
Typcally the spike often created with PSU failure can cause the hard drive and or CDrom to short to ground.
Pull off the power and IDE cables to all the roms and HDD's, now try to post.
If you find that you have post it is likely one or more of these devices is permanently damaged.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back