Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Supply or something more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arobart

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2000
US
Ok, this is a first for me. I do some general repair work on the pc's here at work (not really my job, but kinda got stuck with it due to lay offs)I'm getting in a computer today that is used by someone offsite. Apparently they were trying to install a DSL card with the computer "on". The computer went "pssst" and went dead. Well needless to say, the computer is totally dead now, with no power and they want me to fix it. Could this be something as simple as replacing the power supply (I have spares around here I could pop in) or could they have fried something more??
Thanks!
Annette

At 95% percent they killed the mobo, try to install another mobo.

And the card they were installing , too. Same percentage.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thats what I was afraid of! I think the computer is a micron built in "99". Is is worth it? And how do you find one thats compatible? The only time I've messed with a motherboard is the one time I built new.

No, it isn't worth it. But then you have the compatability problems, so you are forced to do something.

time for you to register on e-bay and start bidding. If you can find a shop that does upgrades they may have something you can use. And in large cities you'll find large computer shops that will have off-lease stuff. But no matter what you do, if it isn't the same M/B you have potential problems. Surmountable, but time consuming.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Well, at least she has her hard drive. I don't think I'll even mess with it. Thanks for your help!

Talk about luck!!! I got the pc in, and plugged it in and it booted right up! Used a corner where I work on pc's with cords all set up, just have to plug in the unit. Turns out it blew out her power cord! She had sent along her cord with the unit, so I turned around and tried to use her cord and &quot;nothing&quot;. Can't believe it! So while I had it, I installed the dsl card for her (with the computer turned off) <<chuckle>> Card was still good too!
I was amazed, strange things can happen!
Thanks again,
Annette

Luck will trump skill every time.

Ed Fair

Check your circuit panel as well. I am amazed a breaker was not thrown.

According to the girl that owns the computer, everything was still fine, she had everything plugged into surge strip. When it booted right up, my original thought was that maybe the one plug in the surge strip blew out. I have that happen here sometimes after a power failure, people think their monitors have blown out, but it's just one particular plug in the surge strip. I called her and had her test the plug to make sure she wouldn't be plugging it back into a dead plug and it was fine. I love it when everything turns out fine. :)

Me too.

A note on surge protectors. They have little devices called MOV's, metal oxide varistors. View these as you would light bulbs. Every time they are called on to do their stuff they lose a little bit of their capacity.

Time affects them as well.

If your surge protectors are older than 2-3 years, replace them.

wow......I've been a tech for a long time and never seen a blown power cord. You mean the black AC removable cord right? WOW

Yeah, they open up. Strands break from flexing then they overheat because too few strands are carrying the load, the copper anneals from the heat making it more likely to break, then when it gets critical the few remaining strands become a fusable link.
I've seen probably a half dozen but I've only had one go bad while I was messing with it.

Ed Fair

Or people slam the car door on them bringing them to the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back