Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power supply dies will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesehead

Vendor
Aug 12, 2001
US
I am working on a MicronPC integrated machine running a pentium 3 processor and 64 megs of ram. It is experiencing a problem which I have never encountered. It powers up and as soon as I hear the hard drive power up it kills the power supply. I have tried a different power supply just for troubleshooting sake and had the same problem. When the machine was brought to me I was told that they had opened the case and used a vacuum with brush to clean the innards motherboard etc. I think the problem may be within the motherboard as a result of esd. I just want to get a second opinion. Help is appreciated.

IT could be that the power supply does not have enough watts to push the system. What is the power supply watts?
Have you added any hardware to it? if not you may want to check your power settings in bios

hope this helps

Pull any expansion cards. Pull the hard drive power. then add back in to see if specific part is causing it. You can do damage that will cause this, but I would suspect processor before the M/B. I've had hard drives do it also. Might also try it with no memory. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The power supply is a 145 watt lite on but I have also tried a 300 watt with exactly the same results. It also fails to boot with everything removed except for the processor, It however is an integrated machine. Micron actually told me to reseat the processor also to no avail.

Your M/B or processor is fried. You should feel some heat from components somewhere on the M/B. Based on experience, I'd vote for the processor. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Generally not since the driver chips can't carry enough to crowbar the PS. Power connector was pulled. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back