Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanuki3

Technical User
Dec 5, 2001
US
I'm relatively new with Win2000 Server and I've been hitting a wall for the last few hours.

We have 4 PCs on a CAT 5 network.

Last week the power went out suddenly and now an error that "at least one driver or service failed" during startup appears. Now none of the PCs will connect to the server although all of the hardware appears to be fine.

I have no idea how to fix this and the error log is full of so many warnings and errors from the night the power went out that I'm not sure which is the important thing that is preventing the any connections to the server.

What service do I need to restart and how do I do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure that you reboot the Windows 2000 server. A good reboot might help the situation.

Aside from looking at all of the problems in the eventviewer from the day of the power outage, I would check the eventviewer after the reboot. You should be able to see some STOP errors. Look at the time of the good reboot that you perform to find out where in the event log contains a stop error.

Let us know what you find.

Also, you can type SERVICES.MSC at the run command and click OK. This will bring up the Services console. Look at the services and find any services that are marked as AUTOMATIC under startup type.

If you find an AUTOMATIC startup type but the service is NOT started, it should be. This might be the service that is failing on your Windows 2000 server. Try to start this service manually if you find it. Let us know which service (if any_ is failing.)

Also reboot the client machines after you reboot the server. This might fix your problems on the client machines. You can also look at the event viewers after the reboot on the client machines.

-hope this helps..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Sorry, but I didn't realize I had gotten a reply.

Here are my responses to what I can answer now, but I will have a better answer after examining this tomorrow.

"Make sure that you reboot the Windows 2000 server. A good reboot might help the situation."

I have rebooted a couple of times with no success. I have even reinstalled the OS with no success.

"Aside from looking at all of the problems in the eventviewer from the day of the power outage, I would check the eventviewer after the reboot. You should be able to see some STOP errors. Look at the time of the good reboot that you perform to find out where in the event log contains a stop error."

The reboot gives me some warnings that seem somewhat mundane. The only errors mentioned something about the firewall service stopping and (more importantly I think) that the DHCP isn't working properly. At some point I am informed by my machine that it has assigned the server a new IP address of 169.XXX.XXX.XXX. Back when everything was working, the IP address for the server was 10.0.0.1. Since all of the client machines were still using the original IPs, and could even access each other over the network, I guessed that the server needed to be set back to the original IP it was using. I have tried to do this manually in any place that I can find the IP address for the server, but also to no avail.

I think the fundamental problem (or maybe just a symptom) is that the server has given itself a new IP address and is now behaving like a client on a new network. This is just intuition since I am in a bit of novice here.

I will try your other suggestion tomorrow morning and come back with the specific erros from the even log since I think that will give a better picture of the problem.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back