Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Options - Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

james1074

Technical User
May 10, 2002
GB
In Control Panel, under "power options" then "advanced" tab there should be an option of "when I press the power button" either to turn off or to go on standby.

For some unknown reason this option seems to be missing on my machine (W98SE).

The Advanced Power Management is enabled in the BIOS however it may not have been enabled when I installed Windows

Is there a registry hack or something I can do to enable these options?

JFM

For what it's worth, I don't have those options either.
Have you seen them on Win98 before? My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

yes, used to have these options. they disappeared after re-installing windows 98 (on one of the many occasions)

Possibly corrupt APM (Advanced Power Management) drivers.

Click Start / Settings / Control Panel / double click the Systems icon / click the Device Manager tab / click the + next to System if the first device is not Advanced Power Management support skip to the next paragraph. If Advanced Power Management support is present highlight and click the Remove button to remove it from Device Manager. Once removed reboot the computer and let it reinstall and try power management again.

If Advanced Power Management was not listed in Device Manager or once removed was not reinstalled after rebooting the computer click Start / Settings / Control Panel / double click on Add new hardware, and let Windows detect and install new hardware (should detect and install Advanced Power Management support). If Windows does not detect Advanced Power Management support verify in CMOS that Power Management is Enabled.

reghakr

Tried all that and still no joy!

APM was already under System Devices in Device Manager. Removed it. Restarted. Did Add/Remove hardware. Added it again. Restarted. Still no effect.

In Device Manager/APM - Properties/settings tab have got options to "force APM 1.0 mode" and "disable power status polling" - don't have the faintest idea what these do but didn't seem to make any difference anyway.

Open to any other ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back