Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power options question for Dell laptop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscallisto

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
US
Dell Latitude D400
XP Pro 2002 SP3

From the control panel
Power Options Properties > Advanced tab > Power Buttons section >

[When I close the lid on my portable computer:]

I have selected [Do nothing] as opposed to [standby]

When I close the lid my screen goes blank until I re-open my lid.
Is this whats supposed to happen?

Sam

Exactly what is happening. You screen goes blank, but the computer stays running. This allows you to connect your PC to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and close your computer and use it. Not sure why you would want the screen to remain on when the lid is closed.

Yes you are correct have a star, I guess I was questioning the wording [Do nothing].

Well it didn't [do nothing], it turned off the screen and I agree this is certainly the smart thing to do (save the screen wear and tear).

mltoombs said:
Not sure why you would want the screen to remain on when the lid is closed.

I had a bad external keyboard and had to open the laptop to use the internal keyboard letter E. It was taking 3 or 4 seconds switch back to the external monitor after re-closing the laptop cover and I was simply impatient.

I have a screen saver to "save the screen from burnout" and wished the monitors simply stayed on...again impatient.

new keyboard cured my impatience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back