Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Manager: Is there a config file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyNYC

Programmer
Sep 23, 2002
US
I run a non-profit where we run creative writing workshops for kids 8 to 18. We have about 50 laptops. They're not all Windows 7, but some of them are, so I chose this forum. If there's a more appropriate forum, please let me know.

I have a standard configuration I use for all of the laptops (with allowances for the fact that I don't have the budget to buy all of my laptops at the same time and build one image for all of them). For Firefox, I keep a copy of the config file on my webserver, so I just just drop it on every new machine I configure.

I would like to be able to do something similar with the power manager settings, but I haven't been able to track down the configuration file for that. I've tried googling, but there are so many products for power management that it's been difficult to find meaningful results.

SO...
* What I'm Looking For:
** File path and name for a power settings config type file for Windows 7, Vista, XP
* What I've done so far:
** Google
** look through Windows directories closely, but with not much knowledge on the subject

Thanks so much for any light anyone can shed.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Wallace-Segall
Writopia Lab

Can you do anything with Powercfg, it is common to all three Windows Operating Systems and is accessed via a Command Prompt and a command such as Powercfg /?

Powercfg Command-Line Options

How to use Powercfg.exe in Windows Server 2003

Are your machines all standalone workstations, or are they part of Domain where Group Policy would be an option?

Even if they are standalone, but are not "Home" editions, some GPO options should be available via GPedit.msc

I can't check that for you at the moment because I am in one of those home editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back