Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Management Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brode

IS-IT--Management
Nov 22, 2002
US
I've been using the Power Management settings in my Micron Win 98 SE machine for many years with no problem, but last week they decided not to work.

To be precise, I've always had the system set up to turn off the monitor after 45 minutes of inactivity and it's always done that--till now. Now the monitor stays on forever. Nothing in my configuration has changed that I know of. I'm on a network but have always been on a network. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Any info on whether it matters much, energy-saving-wise or equipment-saving-wise, if the monitor stays on all day and night or not?

Many thanks,

Brode

Set 'Turn Off Monitor' to Never, and set 'System Standby' to the desired time.
This will put the monitor in a low power mode and will also turn off the HD.

If that does not work, then select Standby in Start/Shutdown when the system will not be used for extensive periods.

The monitor is your system's largest energy user, and allowing it to stay on continuously will also decrease its life.

This seems to be a common problem and it appears to be the timer that fails. The most reliable answer I can suggest is to set the power button on the front of the computer so that it puts the system on standby when pressed. This will turn off the monitor and hard disks, but your work will reappear as you left it with a mouse movement or another press of the button. Go to "power management", click on the "advanced" tab and choose "standby" for the choice for the power button. A quick press on this button will then put the system into standby. A longer press (about 10 seconds) will shut the system down completely but "illegally".

Thanks for the responses. As luck would have it, the power management works again, mysteriously starting the same way it stopped last week.

Windows!

Brode

Uh-oh, I was wrong about power management working again. That is, it works, but it doesn't work properly.

The situation now is that power management turns off my monitor after the appropriate length of time, but only if every time I boot up (which since the box is always up means every time I reboot because of an error) I go into Power Management, select the setting I want, and click "Apply."

If I don't click "Apply" nothing happens. And, as I said, every time I reboot I have to go through all over again.

?

Brode

Might be your CMOS battery starting to go...

Disable Power Mngmt by setting it all to never....
Use the Monitors On/off button and save yourself the headaches

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back