Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Management issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanf77

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2001
US
I am a complete newbie so I apolgoize if this is a dumb question, but on my linux box, after a short period of time, seems to fall "asleep"...almost like power management/energy saver is kicking in and powering down t he monitor, putting the hard drive to sleep, etc. When it does this the poer light on my PC blinks. If I move the mouse it comes back, but sometimes when it does this I am no longer able to open any programs (i.e. if I try to open a terminal session by clicking on the icon it just sits there and does nothing). Also, while it is in this state I am unale to ping the machine. But as soon as I wake it up, it comes back. Is there a setting somewhere that can di sable this behavior, or is there a bigger issue?

Thanks!

I think you can disable power management in bios.

dan@digisoft.ro

Hi,

There are two main systems for power management :

1) APM - Advanced Power Management
2) ACPI - Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (successor to APM)

To use either the bios needs to support the standard as does the operating system in use. you must have of these enabled in the bios and linux setup accordingly. As a newbie, its probably easier to disable the capability in the bios as in previous post. This is the 'setup' option when the PC starts to boot - you need to hit the relevant key for your make of bios - maybe F1, F2, Delete, or esc. Then follow the menus and look for APM or ACPI and set as disabled.

Hope this helps

Hello, all;

I am having the same problem: server (RedHat7.3), after a short time of inactivity, falls asleep, I am unable to ping interfaces. After initiating the network activity FROM the box, works fine for a while. If some process is runnig on the interface (like snort), this particular interface is kept open.

I disabled APM in BIOS, and removed apmd from chkconfig (I checked - it's not running) - the problem is still there.

Any other instances of the power management in Linux I should pay attention to?

Thanks a lot for any help!

HINT: the same box is running (on occasions) W2K and BSD servers - never happened with those OS's (even with BIOS enabled PM!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back