Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Loss Event Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhosYourDiffie

Technical User
Mar 5, 2018
US
Hello my friends!

I got a customer that called saying that their IPO just lost power and it came back up. All phones and call flows are back to normal but they would like to know why.

Is there a spot in monitor that would be able to show what happened or is there another location where I could find out what happened?

Let me know you thoughts!

Thank you!! :)

Diffie[afro]

How would a device log a power outage while it has no power?
When monitor is running and logging then you have some luck as that is where it is logged.
Your second and last bet is system status.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

@tlpeter

I do see your point. I thought IPO was smart enough to log such an event or some kind of power loss when it booted back up like a PC.

With the help of a colleague I found that they last system restart was because of an "Abnormal Termination" which means someone possibly yanked the cord or the power went out.

I doesn't say "WATCHDOG" in the reason so I'm assuming that's what the issue is.

Run the error and print filters in monitor as a minimum.Set log to file if you want to leave it running to capture both sides of an event.
Also view system status/ alarms for a possible reason, such as brownout or blackout.
Sometimes weird trunk voltages can force reboots, so consider running trunk filters in monitor as a second step.

If you check the 'Using system monitor' manual it details what filters to run for each particular problem.
Tier III have also recommended running default filters. I have used this method to capture an event I was missing by running the filters i thought i should.

You can also set time stamps from handsets using a short code or button. This time stamp is reflected in bright colouring in monitor.
Change your monitor readout to show the time instead of milliseconds the system has been powered on for if using this method.

Most common reason though, physical connection issues or power supply problems.
Physically inspect the power cable. Replace it in fact. 2 minute job.
Check the socket with a multimeter or consider a different circuit.

Second common reason, some doofus, dingus or wingus plugged a PC in to a socket patched to the IP Office.

Make sure the IP office monitor feed isn't available on the internet and is only on necessary computers. Also check those computers aren't compromised.
You can reboot all IP and Sip phones from monitor. That would seem like a reboot and leave no alarms in system status.

Depending on the URI configuration the ICR can be completely ignored.

If your URI is configured to use internal data then the IP Office will look into the user's SIP tab and if you have *'s it will look into ICR.

A madman with a taste for speed.

@holdmusic34

I'm guessing that something with the power went kaput either a power failure inside the building right there or like your said, some dingus went and messed with something they should and when they were asked if they were responsible for the phones going down "I didn't even touch the phone system!" when in fact they may have unplugged it to move a cable or two.

We shall see. I did find in System Status that there was an "Abnormal Termination" that came with an error code that was 3 miles long. After typing it all in, I found that there might be an issue in the old firmware with calls getting trapped in Hunt Groups and can't go anywhere. A solution that would require them to upgrade anyway.

So hopefully this answer will suffice and they will have some better understanding.

2018-08-30_10-52-18_b9fysz.png

2018-08-30_11-05-26_wesu56.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back