Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Edge 2650 high pitched noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDCSYS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2007
US
Recently I started to hear some high pitched fan spinning ( sounds like at moment you boot up the server) from one of the server about two to three times a day and 2 to 3 mins each time, but I was not able to determine which server since we have 4 servers. Our severs was located in the storage room with one air outlet on the top and opened door. I was wondering if this is automatically adjust by the server when the server sense it's getting overheat? Or, could it simply be the malfunction of the fan? Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

The 2650s do ramp fan speeds up and down as needed, but what you're describing sounds like bearings about to fail in one of your fans. Usually a single fan failure will not cause a system shutdown on a 2650, but if you only have a single power supply and that is where the bad fan is you could be in for trouble.

It can be tough to figure out which fan is failing. What I do is place the butt end of a screwdriver against my cheekbone and then touch the business end of the screwdriver to the case of each fan one at a time. You're looking for the fan that doesn't sound/feel "smooth". I've seen techs use stethoscopes, but that's never worked very well for me.

Good luck.

Or just shove the business end of the screw driver into the fan to stop it whilst the sound is happening, when the sound stops you know that's the one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back