Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power edge 2600 amber processor replacement? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisat76

Programmer
Sep 25, 2007
US
i have a dell poweredge 2600 when i boot it i get an amber light that beeps and then just flashes amber. the error code seemed to indicate it was a bas processor. It has 2 xeon 1800 processors. If one processor goes bad the system will not boot? or are both processors dead?
if it is possible that only one is dead how can i determine which one is good or bad?

Thanks

what made you conclude that? would it still boot if only one processor was bad?
Thanks

Yes, it would, unless it was proc 0 (or 1, whatever it's called). Could be a ppm, too.
Try switching the procs around, then the ppm's...

Burt

ppm" you mean the memory right?
Thanks

No---processor power module, or vrm (voltage regulator module). Most servers have these, especially dual or more processor mobo's. It would be a separate small board with a small heatsink on it---the board would probably be about 2-4" long, and probably plugs into an EISA type socket. I can't remember if the 2600 does or not---I'll have to check one of ours tomorrow, and I'll get back to you after I do. I know it's a tower type server...it is a 2600, not a 2650, right?

Burt

The ppm or vrm (I think Dell calls them vrm's) would be located next to the processor---like I said, I'll check tomorrow...

Burt

What sequence does it beep (like one beep, pause, two beeps, etc.)?

Burt

One beep, pause, three beeps, pause, then two beeps=memory, Usually, if it's a processor, it won't beep at all. I would take the processors and switch them around. Have you done that yet?
The vrm's are right next to the processors, about 3" in length and has two silver rectangles, and an inductor in between the rectangles. Have you switched these around yet?
It has to have two sticks of RAM (one bank filled) in order to run also.

Burt

i'll verify the beep codes again, yes there are two sticks of ram

ok it was indeed that the ram was not in the same bank. I inherited this server so someone must have removed some ram before they handed it down.
The only issue I seem to have is that there is still an amber light blinking it is right underneath the i with a circle around it.

Any ideas??

Thanks

oh can i just add any compatible ram to this or does it have to be dell specific?

Does it boot up? It usually has to be Dell, but something that old, you may be able to get away with something compatible.

Burt

yes the server is working fine I
was just curiouser about the blinking light, and if i can add any pc 2100 ram?

You must match all specs---pc2100 can be 100MHz or 133MHz. It also must match rank---dual or single ranked. Not to mention voltage. You need to find out what speed and other specs your Dell RAM is. PC2100 RAM genuine Dell can't be THAT expensive...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back