Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power dvd region code 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
I recently purchased a movie from Australia and I live in the United States. Well when I go to watch the movie on my computer of course I have to switch the region code. However im only allowed to do so 5 times before it locks. On the 5th time, whatever region I select it locks permanently on that region code. According to power dvd faq

"The limitation is set in accordance with the requirements specified by major film studios. PowerDVD will allow you to change region codes up to 5 times (also depending on your DVD drive) and then automatically lock in the fifth region-code setting.

Afterwards, you can only play DVD titles in the fifth region code or non-CSS DVD titles of all regions. The region code will remain locked even if you re-install PowerDVD."

Is there by any chance any legal way around this? As I would like to be able to watch my Dvd when I want without locking out my others?

Thanks

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I know the problem, I've been through it. I live in a Region 4 country, but like my DVD's to be Region 1, the american Versions are always better.

I resorted to buying a cheap DVD drive to act as my region 4 drive, and my good Sony DVD drive is my region 1 drive.

Of course if you want something that doesn't require extra hardware Perhaps something like this:
might help.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Just do a Google and presto!

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I probably should have googled it first. Anyway I found a way of doing it. I disabled the region code on my drive via software for liteon and I used dvd region killer for windows. Worked great.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

The reason for not spelling out the solution...... I guess it infringes on copywright but then the reason for manufacturers making software with different regions is to limit cross border copying/distributing etc they don't account for users travelling and buying products.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Yeah I do not believe im doing anything illegal as the dvd I bought legitly, it is not copied lol. Im not making copies of it, just want to be able to watch it.

I agree. If I go to the store and buy a Region 1 DVD, and then fly back home to my region 4 place of residence, why would I not be able to watch it, it just doesn't make sense. There's nothing illegal about it.

Its like buying a pair of Pants, and then trying to wear them in another country, would they not fit properly like they did when i bought them because my legs are now a different region to the pants? Just Ridiculous.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Well the hold that the entertainment industry has on usage rights is ridiculous... I just hope they don't start locking content the way cellphone providers do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back