Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power-down won't power-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroaster

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
My PC's been on the blink for a while - I should have got it fixed but was always going to get round to it another time - it would simply power down out of the blue, and then not start up again until it had had a good 12 hours' rest - if I tried to fire it up again before that the light on the front would alternate green/orange, the fan would whirr then stop and nothing else would happen. And now, it's finally stuck like that, I can't get any life out of it.

Any ideas before I scrap it?

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

Most likely cause would be a faulty power supply.
But also check:
Dust/debri build up in the heatsink/fans
Free movement of cooling fans including the one in the power supply and graphics card (if it has a seperate card)
Bulging/leaking capacitors on the motherboard

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Thanks Martin - power supply it was, I was suprised to be honest how easy it was to replace (is it just me or does everyone have dead PCs around the house for cannibalisation?)

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

nope, I got three, which could be stripped, plus I got some spare stuff lying around...

and if I really need a part that I do not have, I just wait til I get to work, order it over the company...

but I found out that disaster usually comes on the weekend... LOL...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back