Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power down procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomeguy

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2004
US
I have a 61c and once a month we have a generator run up. It takes 20 seconds for the generator to auto start....1 problem my batteries are stone dead. I would like to know if there is a proper way to shut down the switch. When the power goes out the batteries cycle off and on..Its gotta be wreaking havoc on my poor switch. Please help..;-)

switches on the rear of the switch.. but get those battries replaced.. one day it will not come up.. not a good practice on that box..

as far as software, edd and put that disk in your pocket, then power cycle

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

First of all I'd make sure the Option 61 is doing a daily backup and that you keep copy or two for storage reasons.

Also I'd power down the system by turning off the breakers at the bottom of each tower and NOT for each IPE shelf.

The reason for this is that there is a goo chance that the power unit switch will become faulty if you turn it off there. It's because the inside of the switch components can fail and recently I had a site where the system was working fine for years and as soon as we turned the IPE power unit off, it wouldn't work anymore.

Anyway, power it all down and make sure you don't suddenly turn it back on again as this is where most problems start.

If you have applications such as Call Pilot, Symposium, Sig Servers, Mmedia cards (IP devices) etc, then it's likely that they will all have to be rebooted again after the Meridian has been rebooted.

This is only my recomendation and I'm sure that other members will have other useful tips to give you.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

There is a power switch at the rear base of each column. As long as the system is not in the middle of a backup, just flip that switch down.
If you don't replace those batteries, you will have issues sooner than later. Change them before they start leaking all over everything, and you have to replace the whole unit.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help?

lots of echos today.. i think that post scared all of us.. glad i don't have maint on that one

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The batteries died a year ago I have a new switch CS1000e sitting in the server farm...waiting for DSN to let me turn it on. Its a AC switch and the old one is DC Nobody wanted to spend 15k for 1 years worth of batteries we won't need. I knew about the cuircut breakers in the back just figured there had to be a orderly shut down procedure....but these things really weren't meant to be shut off I guess...Thanx guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back