Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power down p670 with HMC and aix 5.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondebbs

MIS
Dec 28, 2005
US
Hello, we are scheduling a power outage (8 hours) and replacement of our UPS at one of our data centers. There is one p670 with one LPAR and an HMC. We don't usually power down our p670s so I want to make sure I have the procedure correct.

I'm planning on having the operations group at the site go to the HMC > Server and Partition > Server Management > right click on the partition > select Operating System > Shutdown > click on "Bring the OS down as quickly as possible".

Once the OS is down they can click on the Server > Power Off > System. I'm assuming this will bring the p670 down without us needing to shut off the big red switch? Does this sound correct? Do we also need to flip off the red switch?

Once the p670 is down we will go to the hmc and click console > exit to shut down the HMC. We'll power up the HMC 8 hours later and basically reverse the process to bring up the p670.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks - Brad

I'd flip the big red switch as well if possible. Let the UPS guys do their earth leakage testing without the danger of them leaving your breakers on and spiking the p670.

Well, That's the process i followed during my previous power down on the p5 570 machine! I don't exactly know if there are some extra specific actions to be done on the p670 but i guess it will be as an extra step to mine:

Power Down:

Shutdown DBs & applications
Stop Clusters
Shutdown LPARs
Shutdown Managed Systems
Power Off Prepherals (Tapes -- VXA, ULTRIUM --, DVD)
Power Off HMC
Power Off SAN Controllers
Power Off SAN Disks Expansions
Power Off SAN Switches

Startup:

Power On SAN Switches
Power On SAN Disks Expansions
Power On SAN Controllers
Power On HMC
Power On Prepherals (Tapes -- VXA, ULTRIUM --, DVD)
Startup Managed Systems
Startup LPARs
Startup Clusters
Startup DBs & apps
Rerun backup jobs that were passed

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back