Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

power consumption of server room

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoice

Programmer
Feb 15, 2003
GB
hello,

our site supervisor has asked me appoximately how many KW our server room eats up. can somebody advise me on how to approach this matter. Also what is the average consuption of a normal workstation.

Thanks in advance

neil

Hi
Don't know whether this will help but I've got 3 desktops (all with 1 CPU and 1 HDD) and that along with a 3com 24 port switch and a Solwise router all come to 1.3A

The best way to determine the power consumption of your server room is to ask an electrician to measure the total current (in amps.) and multiply this value x 120 volts. The resulting value will be the power expressed in VA (Volt-Amps).
Why an electrician? Well, is easier and more accurate (to avoid forgetting some devices) to perform the measure at the electrical panels. Just make sure the instrument, usually a clamp meter, is True-RMS.
If you want this measure to size an UPS, make sure to get some extra "space" for future increments and to avoid use the UPS at maximum load.
Regards,
Jose.-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back