Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power 740 and HMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Gaeta

Programmer
Oct 5, 2021
BR
Guys,

Recently I got a Power 740 from company. Actually three 740. :)
I am not a AIX or Power guy. My world are mainframes. But I like to learn more about other platforms. That's my case.
My hardware is running Linux and AIX 7.1 (the last one, limited, since I have no drivers to my ethernet adapter). I am only able to boot one operating system. I have followed some forums and I know about HMC and LPARs, I have a version HMC 7.7.1.0 running in KVM, but seems this version is not enough to 740 hardware.
Could anyone share a compatible version of HMC to 740 series?

Thank you
Dan

You need to plug a laptop into the HMC1 port. The default ASMI IP address is 192.168.2.147. Configure your laptop IP Address to be 192.168.2.99. If you can ping 192.168.2.147 successfully, open a browser to the ASMI interface at You may need to go to your browser settings and enable TLS-1.0.
The System Firmware level will be displayed in the upper right corner of the screen. It will be similar to this: SF240_320. At this point you can login with the default credentials
UserID:admin Password:abc123 and have a look around
Search IBM support for the "HMC / Firmware Supported Combinations"
You my need to update the System Firmware and/or the HMC firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back