Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power 6 memory requirements per CPU core

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogniemi

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
PL
Anyone has an url link to such requirements?

I have just heard from two persons:

- one said that that for each P6 core we should order 4GB RAM
- the other (IBM) said that 6-8 GB per core should be ordered.

It all depends on your workload type and on how virtualized you want to roll out the p6. E.g. if you have a lot of DB workload and want to maximize sharing of CPU and I/O, then you need to *drench* the CPUs in enough memory.

VIO ethernet also needs to have its share of memory. So if you have 2 sets of VIO servers (1 set for prod, one set for dev/test) then be sure to count at least 4GB (better 8GB, 2Gb per VIO server) extra.

I'd go for 8GB per CPU.

Power CPU's grow faster and faster at (re)incarnation, so that means they can handle more cycles and you need the memory to run all those processor cycles and to hold all the data.

If you want to drive 16 porsches at top speed at the same time, you're going to need a very wide highway to accomplish that.

HTH,

p5wizard

And you should add up to 2GB for power hypervisor, depending on the number of LPARs. The System Planning Tool (new name for LPAR Validation Tool) can give you an estimation of the memory needed by the power hypervisor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back