Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pound Getting Added to Internal Extension Dials

Status
Not open for further replies.

LwithaZ

Systems Engineer
Sep 29, 2022
US
Hello,

This morning I noticed running a trace that # is getting added to the end of the 5 digit extension dial string when dialing internally in a specific extension range (in this case, the ones that start with 8). When I dial from any internal extension, my trace shows "dial 8xxxx#" which causes a slight delay between when the number is entered and when the ringing starts. Other extensions that don't start with 8 don't do this.

Avaya CM6, this is direct IP to IP phone. I've checked ARS/AAR tables, the dial plan, system features...nothing seems out of place. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion because I've hit a wall.

Posting in the correct forum will yield more replies.
For future (or now), here is the the Avaya CM forum:
Also it is best to post software version

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

#" is used by CM as the "End of line" character. The hash (or pound) isn't causing the delay but simply indicates that no more digits were entered.

What is more likely happening is that your dial plan has at least two extension ranges starting with 8. When that happens, CM will wait 4 or more seconds to determine if the user will dial any more digits.

For example, let's say you have one 5-digit range. If you dial only 4-digits, 8123, CM will wait a little bit for that 5th digit. If no additional digits are dialed, then CM times out and plays the "wave-off" tone.

Similarly, when you have two extension ranges, CM waits until the inter-digit-timeout is reached or the longest dial string is entered.
Let's say you have two ranges, one 5-digits and one 7-digits. If you dial 5-digits: 81234, then CM will still wait to see if any other digits are entered. If the timeout is reached then CM will dial the 5-digit extension.

You can confirm this by running the command "display dialplan analysis" and looking for things that start with 8.
You can also try dialing a 5-digit extension and adding the # at the end. If it's the inter-digit-timeout then the call will go through immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back