Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POTS Lines going to voicemail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaslin

MIS
Apr 1, 2004
US
I need some help with this one...

I have 8 POTS lines that ring directly to two phones (on seperate line appearances).

After the system was powered down unexpectedly, these 8 POTS lines now forward to voicemail after 3 rings on the main console phones. Not only is it not supposed to do this, but I have no idea what voicemail extension it gets transferred to.

I need to get these lines off of cover and make them ring constantly until they are answered manually.

Thanks!

A line that is not assigned to a pool, will cover to the voice mail of the lowest numbered logical ID that has the line assigned with ringing and voice mail coverage.

What that means, is that the lines will cover to the Operator's voice mail :)

To make them NOT cover to ANY voice mail, assign the lines to an unused adjunct and then make that adjunct the Pricpipal User of the lines. Since the adjunct doesn't have voice mail coverage, the lines will continue to ring until answered live or abandoned by the caller.

As far as I'm aware, all of the lines are assigned to a single pool. How can I assign lines to an unused adjunct? I'm a little new with Magix and Legend systems, I'm used to a Definity.

I have 8 POTS lines that ring directly to two phones (on seperate line appearances). "

Are these two phones Operator positions?

In programming, go to Lines and Trunks, then press More until you find Principal User, see if they have one assigned. If so, delete it.

They may also be assigned to a calling group that overflows to the voice mail calling group, thus being answered by VM.

Do a print of your trunks, and your calling groups.

See if you find the pool assigned to either, and post here if you need help in understanding the printouts.

Well, Here's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

I would be willing to bet that your system is not brand new, and that it's Memory Holding Battery has died.

Thus, when it was powered down, you really lost all programming, and it defaulted to the KEY mode.

That's where I would start.

IF it is new enough that it has a FLASH CARD back up, then you are home free, but again, if I was guessing, you will not be that lucky.

It would help if you could give a brief description of the type of system you have, processor type and software version, as well as installed modules, including the type and model of voice mail.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

It turns out that what caused the problem was a 3rd extension that we were trying to program with the main POTS line. We apparently can't program a person's extension with the console operator lines, otherwise it does this transfer to voicemail stuff.

So I'm hoping when I get there tomorrow, I can just delete the line button on the new phone and everything will go back to normal... I hope...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back