Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POTS information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avayacoolstuff

Technical User
Jan 31, 2019
US
hi all,

I'm business guy not too technical, her is my question our service provider asked to provide a POTS number information for our TFN, so that means is it the internal DID linked to it ? so is it the internal DID number and POTS number are same ?

Hmmm...

Typically, toll free numbers (800, 888, etc.) enter your PBX via a DID (direct inward dial) number on a digital (PRI or SIP) circuit. Customers dial 800 555 1212 but your PBX sees a call come in on 212 555 4321. Some carriers are able to send the toll free number directly so you see inbound calls on 800 555 1212.

You can also have toll free numbers terminate on POTS (plain old telephone service) lines. These are the traditional analog lines like you would find in homes. This is not typical for larger companies, however.

So I'm guessing the provider is asking for the DID number to use for the incoming toll free number. You'll then have to figure out how calls to that DID are answered (VDN/Vector for an auto-attendant, for example).

Thank for the response, terminology "POTS routing number and DID number" are same right ?

Technically? No, they are not but are probably being used the same in this instance. [glasses] I'm probably just being a phone geek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back