Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POTS 16 Expansion over fibre 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevwiener

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
AU
i was wanting to know if this is possible, i want to put 16 analog extension in another building located accross the road we already have a fibre link between the sites, and i noticed that the expansion unit need an ip address but would this work or does it have to be physically plugged into the back of the 403.

No go.
You will have problems.

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Sarcasm, it's only one of the services I offer.

no probs thanks for the reply looks like we will possibly have to use the existing old copper link between the buildings :)

thanks
kev

for future reference, you never want to use any other than the blue supplied cable to connect modules to controllers. There is always grief. It might take 6 months, but it will happen.

ACSS-SME
fo shizzle ma nizzle.

So what is so special about the Avaya provided BLUE patch cords?
Are they not Ethernet?
Are they using some non-standard format?
Other than a Category rating, Ethernet is Ethernet on UTP!

....JIM....

>Are they not Ethernet?
No they are not ethernet
>Are they using some non-standard format?
It is a TDM thing, more like ISDN / QSIG / DPNSS than anything else
>Other than a Category rating, Ethernet is Ethernet on UTP!
but the Avaya cables certainly are not UTP. STP actually and they do not talk ethernet.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

I have been told the units use E1 to talk to the processor. when you use a longer cable is screws up the timing between the controller and the module

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

Very interesting information, I will have to check that out further. So the IPO may be using E1 for connectivity to the expansion modules! That would explain the special cables, since E1 is DEFINITELY NOT Ethernet! And E1 is NOT DS1, USA people, so pay attention...

Since I still have lots of reading to do on the IPO, is this covered in any of the IPO documents, other than telling you that you have to use the blue cables?

Thanks, hsm, the Draytek stuff is interesting also, but I did not see any download buttons for documentation, and their list of specs is lacking some important numbers, like power requirements, and loop limits, voltage, ring frequency, etc.*

....JIM....

It's not covered in the manuals and only guys involved in programming the firmware really know. We suspect it's a variant of E1, hence the 30 ports on a module, and the fact that it is actually originally a UK piece of kit (not that you would know these days!!!). Euro PRI is 30 bearer channels and 2 signaling channels. Use of the short cables will be down the the signal strength of the IPO not being very strong.

I sometimes wish it was ethernet on the back, modules in the vein of media gateways on the Aura.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

the cable is a straight through shielded cat5e cable but what is running on it is an Avaya (or Alchemy) secret. The fact is however that you should not replace it with anything else due to the issues that have been surfacing in the last years with most people using something else than the original cable.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

I suppose if you have a T-Berd testset that has an E1 option, connecting it in a monitor mode may be revealing. If it is using the basic E1 pipe format, then an E1 repeater would solve the distance issue.

Westi, how carefully did you examine the cable? Are the pairs individually shielded, just like DS1 is suppose to be?
If that is the case, and the impedance and waveform characteristics are the same as DS1, then it should not be an issue to make a cable with the right materials.

Back in the days of the original SL1 & Meridian PBXs Northern Telecom used a hi capacity format called DS30 between shelves, etc. which may be related to E1 also.

....JIM....

I just tested for continuity and shield not taken the cable apart to see if the pairs are individually shielded, but now I am curious, if I find a spare I will take it apart.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

hairlessupportmonkey many thanks for the response and all the others :) i will look into the possiblities of the draytek kit and see what we can do :)

kev

no worries. Im sure there are other products on the market, but thats the one I know about and is well supported in the UK

>We suspect it's a variant of E1, hence the 30 ports on a module

Also on older kit - there is a clue in the way that the port numbering was allocated that showed there were 30 time slots for each module.

My suspicion is that it isn't the signal strength that is the issue, more the synchronisation of the timeslots to the modules.

Take Care

Matt

Another option is Patton
In this way I think that each fxs is a sip party, so you will need as many licenses as users on the other side.
I don't know if you may set up a new sip provider associated with Patton. (in this way you would save a lot of licences)

it is a 2mb protocol but not E1
the old alchemy docs actualy provide the pin outs as follows

1 Receive Data (Rx-B) (in)
2 Receive Data (Rx-A) (in)
3 Sync-B (out)
4 Clock (Clk-B)(out)
5 Clock (Clk-A)(out)
6 Sync-A(in)(out)
7 Transmit Data (Tx-B)(out)
8 Transmit Data (Tx-A)(out)

I knew Those disks would come in usefull :)

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

>the old alchemy docs actualy provide the pin outs as follows

I knew I'd seen them somewhere - but I though they were in the ports section of the docs for IP office too

Take Care

Matt

I think they were still there in the older IPO docs as well but they wern't there in V6.0 & I couldnt be bothered to go searching too far :)

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back