Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postscript Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webguy8670

Programmer
Jul 26, 2012
US
I currently am using postscript along with ps2pdf on a client website to generate customized pdfs. Initially, I am using Acrobat to export ps files and opening those and inserting placeholders. These files are then used as templates for generating pdfs on the fly. I am using php on the website to open the ps template and substitute the placeholders with variable information. For instance: a business card template (ps template) is accessed and the user information is pulled from the database and then merged with the ps file using php to substitute the vars. ps2pdf generates the pdf at that point to create a final print file. My question is regarding the postscript language. This is obviously older tech. It's using postscript level 1 to 2 at most. The newer adobe products - of course - use the newer versions of the ps language and as such are no longer conducive to creating the ps templates as I need them. In other words, since it is no longer level 2, ps2pdf does not like them OR the won't distill using Distiller. (i hope all that makes sense). So here is the question. Does any of you know of a better way to do something like this? Can it be done using the newer postscript languages (higher than v2)? If not - can someone kindly direct me to where I might learn more about how to accomplish what i need? I understand that this will mean learning new languages and that's fine. I am just not sure where to even start. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back