Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

posting a access application to the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

docin

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
US
Hi all,
I'm fairly new at using access (2000), but I've managed to put together a stand alone app (using the runtime engine). This application uses a front end (mde file) and a backend where the data resides. The user can only select buttons and queries that I have already set up. Everything works fine. The problem is now they want to know if this can be put on the web so people can use the database to pull records and reports rather than come in the office. How much of a pain is this going to be and what is the best way to procede. I hate to redesign the database. I would really like for people to access the front end just like they do now. One thing that might make it simplier is the fact that the database would be basically "read-only", they would only retrieve the data and wouldn't be making any changes, that would be done in house by people that control the database. Any suggestions on getting a "already working" runtime application to the web would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I posted this to the application deployment forum first and then thought this might be the better forum for it.

As far as I know, there is no way to do what you're asking using Access only. If you had SQL Server for the data server and XML web services (ASP.Net), you might be able to use the front end mde file remotely. In any case, it would not be easy to adapt the Access solution to a remote data solution.

Ideally, you would want to look at scaling this application up to an appropriate platform if web enabled content is a requirement for the project.

- Glen

Know thy data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back