Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PostgreSQL (Windows XP) will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKeeya

Programmer
Nov 8, 2003
US
I haven't made an changes that I can think of (except for installing my wireless printer), but as of yesterday my Postgre 8.2 will not start. I've checked that
listen_addresses = 'local host'
port = 5432
max_connections = 100

I tried configuring and then just shutting down my firewall (Zonealarm). I still can't get the server to start and it worked perfectly fine yesterday.

I get this message from pgAdmin win I tried to connect through that program:

"could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"

I've tried everything I can think of, restarting, checking the configuration, disabling the firewall, etc. I've found similar posting, but no solution. Does anyone have any suggestions.

My apologies. I accidentally added a space to "local host" in my thread, but not in the postgre settings. No postgre is not running in the taskmanager. I've tried starting the service, but to no avail.

What errormessage do you get when you start the service?
Did you visit your logfile?
Did you try to start it from a command shell, to see errormessages immedeately ("no space left on device" for instance, which will never get into a logfile)?

don't visit my homepage:

Problem solved. I uninstalled and reinstalled. I didn't do this most obvious solution earlier because I was afraid of losing all my data. Uninstalling doesn't delete the data, so when I reinstalled, everything works like it used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back