Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PostgreSQL - which version will work with RH6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolMan4227

Vendor
Feb 4, 2002
I have an appliance server that has RedHat 6.1 (Cartman) (2.22.12-20 on i586 kernel). The O/S is embedded and upgrading to 2.4 is not supported. I have an server based application that uses PostgreSQL. However, I assume that PostgreSQL v.7.2 will probably not be supported on RH6.1 . Am I correct, if so what was the last version of PostgreSQL that will work with RH6.1?

I'm not the developer of this application, but I need to provide version requirements to the software company so that they can work around my configuration. Unfortunatly, this company developed on later versions and do not know the answers to legecy RH versions.

Hi,

I would have thought the Postgresql 7.2 rpms built for redhat 6.2 would be OK -->
Otherwise, you could try the redhat 6.2 ones listed here --> . The Postgresql version of those is 6.5.3 .

The problem with older redhats and 'current' rpms is sometimes not just the traditional dependency issue, i.e. where you can't install until you've installed or upgraded other pacakges first. Another problem is that the latest rpms may have been built with a newer version of rpm itself (i.e. rpm 4.x) compared to the version on the target machine. The rpm database format changed from version 3 to 4 and sometimes its necessary update rpm (the Redhat Package Manager) itself before you can install an rpm package built with rpm 4.

So, its difficult to say without trying it out I'm afraid ! One thing you can do is use the --test option to see if it would work without actually doing an install/upgrade (as root) :

# rpm -Uvh --test postgresql*.rpm

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back