Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PostgreSQL: Problem Adding a new Record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenBaron

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
GB
This one is strange, I have a table called Accounts on a PostgreSQL server. I have records in the table,
and am trying to add a new record. I keep getting the Error

Error while executing the query:
ERROR: Relation 'Accounts' Does not exist.

Anybody any ideas on this one? I have tried to creating a new table with just 2 fields in it and it does
the same, just a simple add new record using ADO. The thing that is the strangest is that I have another
table called Mainrisk. I can add new records to that, so I tried creating a new table the exact same
as Mainrisk call mainrisk2. Tried adding a new record to that table and I still get the same problem!!!
using the same code!
ODD. Now a major investigation for me now, so please help if you can

Cheers
Ben

Lo,
right figured out what it was, I was using a CAP A in the tablename in my query.
It found the records but didnt allow me to update the table?? Odd.

Anyway run into anouther snag that perhaps you could help me with,
in that whenever I open a recordset with Locktype adlockreadonly, it causes my app to crash.
Does Postgres not support the readonly type? if not can you read the DB without locking in some way?
any help would be great as I know very little about postgreSQL. All the code I used works on Access 2000
which Im trying to port over from, I tried to keep my SQL syntax standard but I also read that postgreSQL does not
support RIGHT JOIN is this true?

Cheers
Ben

don't know about the lock type , the best thing you could do is check the docs at there are interactive docs now that are searcheable.

as for the right join then postgresql 7.03 doesn't support outer joins, they can be rewritten as a series of selects and unions BUT 7.1 does have full support.

AFAIK postgresql has full locking suport down to row level but i'm not sure of the syntax etc.

hope this helps

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back