Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postfix, vmPop3d, pop-before-smtp, squirrelmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

donb01

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2006
US
Have all these plus dkim-milter.

Was running everything on Mandriva 2009.1 and having no problems. I host my own web, mail, DNS, ftp, etc, plus the same for my brother-in-law's small business, and a couple of friends and local non-profits. I hit my pop3 from work, and use squirrelmail when traveling. My Sister sends and receives pop3 using a dial-up connection on the other side of the country, and uses squirrelmail from work.

Auto updated to Mandriva 2010.0. The update process crashed the first time and locked up the console. After I made sure the process was toast I killed it. Mandriva said update complete and went on as if all was normal. This caused problems because half the software was one version and the rest was older, plus there were boot issues.

Booted manually by twiddling with grub at startup and finished the upgrade with urpmi --auto-update. Kernel files were messed up so downloaded that off my PC and ftp'd it over to the server and installed all that.

Rebooted and everything was fine - everything that was supposed to be running was running. Checked configuration files to make sure nothing was fiddled with. Thought things were OK.

Have discovered several problems. Did basic troubleshooting but unable to determine the cause.

1) The first time a pop3 client (Outlook, Thunderbird) connects and logs in to an account lock files are created in the var/spool/mail directory for the mailboxes accessed. Through some process I don't understand this causes the mail client's receive process to fail with a "mailbox in use" error. If I go in manually with putty and delete those lock files everything on MY network will be fine and live happily ever after - as long as I do not exit and restart the mail client (read exit to go to work so I can see my personal mail at work - home deletes it off the server). This is consistent and 100% repeatable. I thought it was just my Outlook 2007 because it can be flaky, but my 2003 does it at work too, and T-bird does it for my Sister.

2) SquirrelMail will read messages (no lock files, uses IMAP to read), but whether you are on or off my network it will not allow you to send mail to anyone who is not local to my server. It gives a "Relay Access Denied" message. SquirrelMail runs off my server and is accessed via the web without problems. I can send messages to others on my server but no one else off of it. My Sister logging in from her dial-up connection has the same problem and it makes it tough to do business! The system has run flawlessly for years and it was only after the upgrade that problems began.

3)My Sister via her dial-up connection can read her mail if I clear the lock files, but she cannot send out - gets Relay Access Denied. This is using T-bird, and she had no problems before.

One other thing is that I am running AVG 8.5 for linux on there. It is chatting on port 54321. When I look at syslog it appears that AVG is working just fine, and everyone is getting their mail as far as I know, but I occasionally see "127.0.0.1:54321 AVG Connection Refused" (syntax from memory) messages in the log.

My first suspect was an issue with pop-before-smtp because I know if it isn't running I have had issues in the past. I checked it's config and it looks like it is running and keeping the database current. I restarted it on several occasions.

Next suspect was changes to the postfix config files, but I compared them to the rpmnew files and nothing that matters to me looks any different. Restarted that several times.

Next suspect was new load didn't have all the same ports open in the firewall as previously. Checked that and it's OK.

Checked to make sure my Sister's ISP was still reversing out to the same syntax I whitelisted in postfix - no problem there. IP changes every time, but the '@server.bogus.net' part always stays the same and that's what I whitelisted (yeah, I know it's a hole, but a low risk one on a major ISP).

I know there are differences in my /etc/hosts file because it was regenerated with the upgrade. I know that takes precedence over DNS (although I could change that - I prefer not to). I am wondering if the order my aliases appear for 127.0.0.1 and my static IP are having some affect - trying to experiment along those lines. May try reverting that file to a backed-up version.

I checked permissions on all of the mail and other related directories - they are all as they should be.

Anyone have any other ideas for places I haven't looked yet, etc?? Thanks.

I gotta tell you. I had been getting the itch to do a distro upgrade on my server. Not anymore. It certainly confirms that it is worth doing a total backup, using DD if necessary so you can go back!

Anyway...

It sounds like you are having some form of authentication issue. You could be facing either a configuration that got changed or an update / incompatibility. Very possible that you are facing the later.

The problems could be related, but in regards to the squirrelmail, I had the same symptom with "relay access denied" from the word go. What solved it for me was setting it to use sendmail instead of trying to log into the SMTP server, or something along those lines. There is a thread in this forum, originated by me that has some details on it.

Have you looked in the auth.log and mail.log to see what is happening when you sister tries to login and send mail? Perhaps the error message may give us a clue? I also assume you are using TLS. You may want to make sure that the packages associated with that got updated correctly. Lastly, you may want to have a look at the user database for the mail accounts. It is possible that something didn't transfer correctly there.

I know that isn't a lot of help. If you could post some logs and or error messages it may be possible to help you more directly.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into how I have SquirrelMail set up to send out - I know where those settings are but haven't been in there in so long I don't remember how I have it set up.

Now that you mention the user database... Maybe I'll go into all of my user accounts and touch them. All I have to do is remove one character from the password and then replace it and it will re-write the record when it saves (if I just go in and sniff around and hit save it doesn't do it because nothing changed). Good idea there...

I've been busy the past week or so, but when I get back in there this weekend I'll send a few log snips and see if it helps.

So far I have switched Squirrel to use sendmail rather than SMTP and that lets me send out now, but doesn't explain the original problem why it worked the other way for years. If I go thru my SMTP the outgoing mail passes thru the spam/virus filter as well so it is less likely any of my users can mass mail a (known) virus out. I'll still putz with that.

My pop-before-smtp was causing some issues as I suspected and I ended up reinstalling that and it seems to do its job now.

Some of the other problems may have been related to a whole bunch of files that were copied on during the failed upgrade attempt (valid files) that never got their groups and permissions set right before the upgrade failed. The nightly security reports were providing that listing and I went in during spare time over a couple of days and changed groups and permissions on them all - that may have fixed some of it up too. Right now things seem to be better, but I need to put it back the way it was when I started and see if it works now... we shall see... :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back