Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postfix SPF DNS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakethecake

Technical User
Sep 6, 2009
SE
Hi I have a Postfix mail server in a Debian Linux network and used to be able to connect to it on port 25 via telnet. I also have working DNS on the server.

I added this MX record to the DNS zone file:
Code:
@  IN  MX  10  server.c4.sysinst.ida.liu.se.

It worked fine after that also but then I added this SPF record, the goal is that only the server is supposed to be able to send mail from the nework:
Code:
@    IN     TXT     "v=spf1 mx ip4:130.236.189.218 mx:server.c4.sysinst.ida.liu.se ~all"

But after I added that I'm not able to connect using telnet localhost 25 on the server. Help would be appreciated.

Mine looks like this:

within the 'mydomain.org' zone file (Bind 9). My DNS server is the same box as the mail server so you may need to edit slightly.

@ IN MX 10 mail

;
mydomain.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ~all"
mail.mydomain.org. IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

Don't know if it is right, but it works, and sending to GMail and looking at the headers confirms it's accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back