Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postfix SMTP bouncing mails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
Hi all.

I've been using postfix as my local SMTP service for ages and it used to work really well.

Suddenly I seem to get mail bounced when sent to hotmail or yahoo. I suspect that I need to set up an SMTP relay to summat, but frankly that might as well be in a different language for all the sense it makes to me.

Any suggestions from anyone would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

(OS X 10.4.9 (I think) on a MBP)

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Actually Postfix is not bouncing the mail Hotmail and Yahoo are. I googled Postfix + hotmail and found you are not alone. I imagine you will find your answer in one of the many results. The main reason most email is bounced is DNS (and reverse DNS) of the smtp server.

Yes - sorry, that is what I meant.

I have googled and I seem to find results for postfix running on linux boxes, but not specific answers for a Mac. I just was hoping someone else might have already sorted this for themselves and may be able to help me out.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

At the moment I've set up the mac to use Gmail's SMTP server at it deos seem to work ok. I'd still like to sort it properly though so I'll have another go.

Gmail wants to use SSL though so I'm still confused. Thanks for link - will try again and let you know.

Fee

Actually, it doesn't - I haven't received the email I sent to test.

Which implies that I can't use gmail as the relay either I guess.

Back to the drawing board then!

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

If Gmail wants to ssl and you didn't set it up that way it wouldn't work...I'll dig some more.

I received the mail I sent using gmail's SMTP directly (rather than as a relay) but it took 24 hours. Which is a bit carp really.

So, back to the drawing board.

Fee

Right - I set up my gmail account properly now and am using GMail's SMTP service directly.

Is working really well so if any else has this issue I can recommend this as a solution.

Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back