Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postfix smtp authentication using pam / winbind

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssaddler

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
I have established a Postfix mail server on a RH9 Linux box which operates as a mail gateway for my domain and transfers mail to a MS Exchange 5.5 server for local delivery. The RH9/Postfix box sits behind a NAT/Firewall on a DSL circuit. I have many road warriors which need to relay mail through my system from the public network.

Is it possible to configure Postfix to perform smtp authentication to Microsoft Primary Domain Controller (PDC) using pam and the Samba winbind module? I would expect the sasl_auth module to be utilized along with pam_winbind.so.

The road warriors do have windows accounts and we are not using LDAP.

We use Mandrake 9.1, but it is supposedly very similar to RH9. We also use LDAP authentication, but the config should be similar

On our system, we had to install the libsasl7 libraries, which created the /usr/lib/sasl directory. We then added a file to that directory called smtpd.conf

smtpd.conf:
pwcheck_method: pam

This passes the sasl authentication to the PAM modules. We then setup the file /etc/pam.d/smtp:

auth required /lib/security/pam_ldap.so
account required /lib/security/pam_ldap.so

You would of course change this to be pam_winbind.so

Finally in main.cf, we added:
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_delay_reject = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,permit_sasl_authenticated,reject_unauth_destination

This setup the procedure so that postfix asked sasl for authentication, then sasl passed the request to PAM and finally PAM accessed its libraries to authenticate.

Notes:
I have just downloaded a copy of Mandrake 9.2 Beta. In this release they have compiled postfix to use sasl2 libraries. This slightly changes the configuration. We need to install sasl2 libraries, which creates /usr/lib/sasl2. This is where the smtpd.conf file goes, and it contains
pwcheck_method: saslauthd

We then had to modify the startup script for saslauthd (in Mandrake this is in /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd.conf) to read SASL_AUTHMECH=pam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back