Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Postfix + Cyrus SASL

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluid11

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2002
US
Here's the first question in the new Postfix forum. I'm re-posting this from the Linux Server forum...

Has anybody gotten Cyrus SASL to work with Postfix? I want to use SASL so that authenticated users can relay.

I've already seen the docs on Postfix's website about this.

This is what I've done....

- installed Cyrus SASL (tried both RPMs and source)

- compiled Postfix with support for SASL...

make makefiles CCARGS="-DUSE_SASL_AUTH -I/usr/local/include" AUXLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lsasl"

- edited the main.cf to include the sasl parameters...

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

relay_domains = $mydestination
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_sasl_authenticated,
permit_mynetworks,
check_relay_domains

- created /usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf and added "pwcheck_method: sasldb" inside. This file is owned by the postfix user.

- ran 'saslpasswd -a smtpd -c user' to create a user in the /etc/sasldb database

If I telnet to the server and issue a EHLO command, it responds with the correct AUTH commands so SASL is compiled okay. The problem is I can't authenticate.

Anyone have any ideas? This is driving me crazy! I'm about to give up and allow relaying by IP address.

Thanks,
ChrisP

I still haven't gotten this working, but I came up with a workaround until I feel like messing with SASL again.

I want to be able to relay from my house, which has a static IP. I added the IP to /etc/hosts and called it home.foo.org. Then I edited main.cf and added home.$mydomain to the mydestination paramter.

This will work for now since I only have a few users working from home, but I'll have to either get SASL or some other method (POP-before-SMTP?) working in the future.

ChrisP

I haven't tried Cyrus again yet, but I found a better solution that I couldn't get working before...

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/clients
permit_mynetworks,
check_relay_domains

The reason I couldn't get it working before was because I had check_relay_domains listed before check_client_access.

Is anybody reading this besides me?

ChrisP

Yes I am reading it too, actually just found out there is a new postfix forum ;-)
Anyway, I am afraid I cant help you with SASL since I have not fiddled with it so far - but it's on my todo list since a while.... if I have info for you I'll post it here ofc.

Regards,
Zodiak

Cool, thanks. Same here when I have time to mess with it again. For now, I'll just keep manually adding the static IP's to the client access list.

ChrisP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back