Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post-Migration Profile Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smugg

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2001
US
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone else is suffering through the same post-ADMT profile nightmares that we are. Here is the scenario:

We migrated 75+ computers and about 65 users using the ADMT 2.0. We followed all "best practices" and, for the most part, our AD migration was a success. Later, we noticed problems with the local profiles on the client machines.

If we look at the user profiles listed on a given PC (My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Setting for Profiles) there are several profiles for Unknown Account. Looking even closer, we noticed that the user's new profile has an equal unknown user profile. If I add a large file to the user's "My Documents" folder, both the user's profile and the Unknown Account profile grow equally in size.

Without even thinking, we deleted the Unknown Account on one machine to "clean up" and the users profile deleted with it. Don't do that, BTW. :)

Has anyone run into this? Is there a solution or a KB article that covers this issue?

Thanks,

Scott

I regret to say I have run into this too. After much trial and error, the only thing we found to be (mostly) successful was to log in as admin. Rename the directory holding the users proile. Delete all bad profiles and log in as the user again. Then copy the data back from the renamed profile.

I did have some luck with editing the registry to point the user to the renamed directory, but the problems came back in a few weeks.

In the end we found it just easiest to wipe out the profiles on the workstation and server and start from scratch. Since doing that there have been ZERO problems with profiles.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back