Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POST METHOD NOT ALLOWED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaPaschal

Programmer
Nov 15, 2005
US
I have the following line within a CGI file:

<form method="POST" action="login-providers.shtml">

When i click the SUBMIT button, i get error "HTTP 405" which means that the POST method is not allowed for SHTML files.

How do i setup the server to allow shtml files to accept the POST method?

Withing the SHTML there is a SSI call to another CGI script which will recieve the POST method....

GET works just fine but, i need to use POST because if i use GET, sensitive informaotin (password,etc) show up in the URL.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi

Such limitation could be done with a setting like this :
Code:
<Files *.shtml>
  <Limit GET>
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
  </Limit>
</Files>
Look in httpd.conf and .htaccess files for something similar and modify it.

Feherke.

I am new to all this so, sorry for the questions...

This site is on a shared server and I don't have access to the configuration files (as far as i know)...

I tried making my own .HTACCESS file saved within the same directory that the SHTML files i am running are in...

I tried a few differnt ways of trying to set the POST method to be allowed for the SHTML files but, i am not having any luck.

Do you have the exact commands that I will need to use in the .htaccess file? Can i even do what i am trying to do?

Hi

Sorry, I wrote my previous answer b.c. ( before coffee ). The correct answer is, such limitation depends on web server settings, so try asking in a forum related to the web server you use. ( My answer was for Apache, as I thinked I was reading forum65... )

If the server is not your, I think would be better to read the hosting company's policy first. If they restricted POST, probably this is not accidental and there is no way to override it.

Note also that .htaccess is used ( as far as I know ) only by Apache and is just the usual name of local configuration files and the options allowed to use in it could be ( an mostly are ) limited.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back