Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post It Notes Application - Where's the data? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefourthwall

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hello,

I searched the site using the built-in search function and via google, limited to tek-tips.com, but did not find an answer.

One of my end users had a corrupt profile, and uses 3M's digital post-it notes application. She had "notes" on her desktop and while I have not deleted the old profile, I also cannot find her data, either.

Unfortunately, this is where she put her important items, instead of Outlook, where the data is actually backed up daily...

Any thoughts or knowledge on this is welcome!

Thanks,
thefourthwall

Have you looked in c:\user\%name%\appdata\roaming ? and look for the 3m or post-it or something that relates to the program? This folder (appdata) is hidden. so search will not find it.

rclarke250: Sorry, I neglected to mention that after I turned on show hidden & system files, I looked in c:\user\<old profile>\appdate\roaming\3m\ and found a pnsdata file (recalling file name from memory so I may be off on the exact name currently) and copied into the corresponding location in the user's new profile while logged on as Administrator. Logged in as user, but none of her old notes showed up. At a bit of a loss so far.

Good catch on where to look, and I'm sorry I forgot to mention the above in my first post.

Thanks

Is there some importing function with this software? See if this site leads anywhere besides up the garden path.

"Import: Import notes exported in Post-it® Software Notes format.
Note: Import is not available in this 30-day sample".

Welcome to Post-it® Software Notes Version 1.5

...And the free sample is exactly what the user had installed.

Thanks for your help linney, that's what has happened here.

Will suggest the user buy the paid version (it's a small office so they have some leeway in that area); would have replied sooner but have been out sick for several days.

You're welcome.

Is Post It in anyway similar to the built in Sticky Notes, or are they two different animals?

Ouch! I completely forgot to respond to your question of 1 Jul, sorry about that.

The appearance and functionality is similar but I've no idea how or where Sticky Notes stores its data.

You have to use Sticky Notes in the first place, and you have to save any notes manually. They are saved as a .snt file wherever you decide to save them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back